Director of Business Operations
About IPTAY and Clemson Athletics:
The Clemson University Athletic Department, one of the nation’s premier athletic and academic brands, sponsors 21 NCAA Division-I sports and supports more than 500 student-athletes. The department relies on the support of IPTAY (originally – I pay ten a year), which was founded in 1934. It is now one of the of the most successful athletic fundraising organizations, providing millions of dollars in scholarships for student-athletes and non-athletes alike and substantial support for programs and facilities that help Clemson Athletics build championship-level programs.
As part of IPTAY, you help student-athletes be top competitors both on the field and in the classroom and you get all the benefits that come with being a part of this important organization.
IPTAY is supported through annual donations, gift planning, and major gifts. Each is vital to the success of Clemson Athletics.
IPTAY Mission Statement:
IPTAY provides resources to support the academic, athletic, and personal development of Clemson University student-athletes and the competitive success of Clemson Athletics.
In conjunction with Clemson University, Clemson Athletics, and applicable affiliate organizations, the Director of Business Operations will be a valued member of the IPTAY organization and will report directly to the Sr. Associate Director for Finance. This position covers a critical need for the organization, with an oversight of business operations, specific human resources functions, policy governance, and data analytics. This position will oversee full-time staff, contractors, student employees, and/or graduate assistants.
Business Operations | 40%
- Collaborate with Clemson Athletics Business Operations in the areas of budgeting and budget management, forecasting and planning.
- Maintain daily oversight over the department’s purchasing and accounts payables.
- Assist with internal controls, including developing policies and procedures, within the business office.
- Participate in applicable audit and compliance efforts as directed.
- Provide reporting to senior leaders, board members, and other constituents as applicable.
- Assist in organizational financial benchmarking and analysis.
- Develop, manage and oversee travel policies and procedures.
- Review and audit expense reports and purchases for assigned departments.
- Prepare, monitor, and analyze assigned budgets.
- Assist with month close tasks, as well as year-end reporting.
- Assist in training of applicable systems and business office policies and procedures.
Human Resources | 20%
- Work closely with IPTAY’s designated Professional Employer Organization.
- Assist with the coordination of the department’s human resources activities including job postings, recruitment, development of job descriptions, compensation analysis, bonus structures, hiring, performance evaluations, on-boarding, off-boarding and professional development.
- Coordinate employment searches and managing systems for the onboarding of new employees and staff recruitment.
- Recommend and schedule employee training and development opportunities.
- Facilitate performance management timeline, inclusive of annual evaluations and mid-year employee check-ins.
- Assist with the annual Open Enrollment of Benefits for staff members.
- Provide support to bi-monthly payroll process.
- Assist in developing and implementing practices to increase employee engagement and retention and prepare reports and documents that support and inform strategic HR priorities. Developing training materials to ensure employees understand the University policies, processes, and procedures.
Policy Governance & Data Steward | 10%
- Assist with organizational policy creation and governance
- Participate in data analytics projects in conjunction with Clemson Athletics and other applicable entities
- Serve as an organization data steward
Management | 10%
- Direct oversight of assigned Business Operations staff
- Carry out all responsibilities involved in the management of direct reports, inclusive of full-time, part-time, and student employees and graduate assistants
- Administer annual and mid-year employee reviews as applicable.
Strategic Planning and Support | 10%
- Provide a broad range of analysis regarding the current state and future direction of the department
- Participate in strategic planning efforts for the organization
Administrative | 10%
- Manage use of resources including funding, personnel, facilities, and time
- Attend weekly staff meetings and assigned working group meeting
- Assist with administrative functions within the IPTAY office
- Special projects as assigned by the leadership team
- Adhere to all department-wide management controls
- Serve on athletics, university and advisory committees as assigned
- Participate in professional development opportunities and mandatory training programs
- Ensure all operations follow Clemson University, IPTAY, NCAA and conference regulations
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education: The minimum education required to perform the primary role of this position.
- Bachelors Degree Required.
- Masters Degree Preferred
Minimum Experience: The minimum years of applicable and relevant work experience that would be necessary to effectively perform the position.
- 4-8 years in intercollegiate and/or professional athletics, specifically in the development, ticket, and/or premium seating setting.
- Ability to analyze financial data and trends and present financial information.
- Experience with budget management.
- Prefer previous business office and bookkeeping experience.
- Demonstrated experience in interpreting, analyzing, advising on, and implementing policies, procedures, and regulations related to all facets of human resources administration.
Equipment Utilized: Equipment with which the incumbent must be familiar or will be required to operate or use.
- Microsoft Office, Microsoft Teams, SalesForce, Ticketmaster, PeopleSoft, Blackbaud.
Technical & Leadership Experience:
- Applicable technical experience and past performance in areas outlined in this job description.
- Experience in administrative leadership, decision-making, management, and supervision.
- Job versatility.
- Demonstrate good judgment and the ability to respond quickly and deal successfully under pressure and in a very open and public environment.
- Strong work ethic.
- Self-starter with ability to analyze situations and address with a solutions-based approach.
- Works with minimal supervision and manages own time effectively.
- Works effectively and cooperatively with others to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to initiate, build, and maintain relationships.
- Willingness to learn and contribute.
- Effectively shares/disseminates information; listens to others and incorporates/integrates information. Uses oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to achieve role objectives.
Customer Service Focus:
- Effectively and efficiently meets the needs of IPTAY donors; delivers high quality service and makes customer service a priority by seeking ways to improve service through innovation.
- Ability to remain at work station for long periods of time.
- Move, transport, raise or lower items of 10lbs. or less.
- Standard Hours: 40 per week
- Includes (as applicable): Event Days
McCarter Family IPTAY Center
1 Avenue of Champions
Clemson, SC 29634
IPTAY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We make every effort to provide fair and equal treatment on the basis of merit in all our employment decisions, including but not limited to decisions concerning hiring, retention, promotions, working conditions, compensation, benefits, training, and all other privileges, terms, and conditions of employment. We pledge to treat all employees fairly without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetics, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Any applicant with a disability may contact IPTAY at 864-656-0314 or IPTAYHR@clemson.edu to request an accommodation related to the application process.